Google+ Followers

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Garden Variety

OrangeBird.  On 'weave'. With braids.

I felt like working on the trees/river piece again....
...adding rocks and riverside bushes....
This piece is something you have to be up close to really I wonder if changing the background 'Monet' type color-rich fabric for something a little more subtle...blah?  dull?
Not sure yet....But I sure love this one.
And for green-thumb proof....a zucchini, cherry toms, onions and parsley ALL grown by moi!!!
The cuke was about the same size as the photo, I just ate it!

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Yet Another Bird

French Knots. Other simple stitches.
On the wall with others.
I think I prefer the red bird done on 'woven' fabric...may have to tear the blue print up a bit..
Next Bird.  "Woven" strips of fabric. Pinned.
Backside.  Just because I like to show that part.
Was going to be a GreenBird on green fabrics....Changed my mind.  Now it's OrangeBird.
The weave all held tog with threads....
A pretty goofy looking thing for starters....but that beak made me happy, so I am sticking with this one. 

Tuesday, August 05, 2014


Sunflowers are taller than me..

.....and my of 7-29.  
They are starting to petals...yellow ones!  Will photo those in a couple more days when they are more open.

The RedBird was moving right along.

And was finished!

Not sure how it will be 'framed'.  Might even press it first, get the embroidery hoop shape out.
The stitches became fabric themselves, it became easier and easier to stitch it. 

Sunday, July 27, 2014


I decided to add a bird to it.  Freehand, no lines pencilled in.
the back.  no other fabric. this might be sheet fabric, hard to stitch.
my carefully organized thread became a mess of fun....color...
the bird in 2 colors....
added a third color.
Blue bird on toile.
Nasturtiums on a wooden eagle.
All of these girls are now a year older....well except for the center baby, she hit the 1 year mark!
Meg is now 9, Lily is now 6, Rhiley is now 5, and Avery is now 3.  No more zero's for now.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

I Broke The Law

"Collecting" the hummingbird feathers is against the law.  One passed in 1918.  I checked the list.. All the HB's I have seen here in WA, the Allen's or Anna's, and for sure the Rufous, are all on the list.  So I will take them back outside.  Any future findings, I will still photograph, but return to the great outdoors.

HUMMINGBIRD, Allen’s, Selasphorus sasin
Anna’s, Calypte anna
Antillean Crested, Orthorhyncus cristatus
Berylline, Amazilia beryllina
Black-chinned, Archilochus alexandri
Blue-throated, Lampornis clemenciae
Broad-billed, Cynanthus latirostris
Broad-tailed, Selasphorus platycercus
Buff-bellied, Amazilia yucatanensis
Bumblebee, Atthis heloisa
Calliope, Stellula calliope
Cinnamon, Amazilia rutila
Costa’s, Calypte costae
Lucifer, Calothorax lucifer
Magnificent, Eugenes fulgens
Ruby-throated, Archilochus colubris
Rufous, Selasphorus rufus
Violet-crowned, Amazilia violiceps
White-eared, Hylocharis leucotis
Xantus’s, Hylocharis xantusii

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Feather, Rivers & Trees

I found a second Hummingbird feather last night, the one with the white pin...can you see the green on it's tip? Enlarge the's amazing!!  BTW, the pins are large straight pins, not the usual sewers pins.

I added a bridge....and a pathway....
the path is long and in wind up, not wind up....
I then added a large tree down in front...
And am adding a second one....
This is fun!

Monday, July 14, 2014

Rivers and Trees

I started yet another idea....I had this long piece of multi-colored damask I bought from Deb L. a few years ago.  I wasn't sure what to do with it at the time, but now I do. (it was part of a 'burrito' of different fabrics which is a fun fun fun way to get a variety)  Recently, Deb happened to post another damask in this Monet-ish dye 'pattern' and I passed it by because nothing sparked, pitty-patted, light-bulbed...
first 2 trees
...until a few days ago, out of the blue, WHAM....sparks, pitty-pats and light-bulbs flashed!!! But before hitting pay pal, I looked in my own stash....and there it was....a piece of multi-colored-spattered-damask just waiting for me to love on it.
first tree was the big one, but i didn't like it
I cut it in half since it was sooooo long, basted it to another soft fabric, probably tablecloth stuff too, got out some Silk scraps in blue and stitched them down.
I wasn't going to add trees, I thought, until I came up with another flash moment idea...weave.
possible waterfall?
I am loving my trees. I can smoosh the weave around a bit to make the 'trunk' look more single...but the wrapping of thread around the lower areas really pulls the trunk together.
All these ideas have come together from learning from Jude, Arlee, Deb L., Judy Martin
Just to name a few.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Summer Wildlife

Backyard, down in the salmonberry (I think) bushes.

Front yard, a young junko (I think)
It's been hot.  I haven't stitched much.

Friday, July 04, 2014

Picture's With Words

I had fun with the text tool in Picasa3...
The 'wall' on the street side of our deck needed some extra support after years of being kicked by swinging children [if you are here often, you will recall pix of the swing we have on this deck] and slamming the gate shut.  Besides I have wanted a pergola type thing out there anyway.  I am hoping I can talk Dan into letting me have climbing vines of some sort....

Junko's up close.  The first birds I have seen to use the pergola.  
The cat checked it out last night after it was completed.