Monday, March 04, 2019

The Mend Continues

This mend is on the back of Ashley's flying geese and kites quilt. Keeping with the flying/color themes, [i showed the whole piece I have of this fabric in my last post] I worked around the print and the hole. I also added a bit of batt in the space, so am having to add quilting stitches too. The appliqued patch is hand stitched to the backing cloud fabric, for the most part, but the hand quilting stitches go through all the layers, as they should...
....So the front of the quilt isn't all funked out with machine stitching.* Which will make sense as you keep reading....
{The circle highlights the quilting stitches seen on the front.}
Am also using some dragonfly print I once used in a quilt for Ashley's sister. It has the same color-fly theme too, so why not?
    Turns out there are quite a few areas needing patches!  But...that is to be expected when you tie a quilt, as this one is. Tying is usually done with a larger needle to pull yarn or other heavy threads through.  The needle punches a giant hole in the fabrics, which are then pulled together tightly, and damages the fabrics.  I know this, I still do this. Mainly because I like thick quilts, or comforters, so my family has grown to love them too. Some of our quilts, I used comforters for the batt, so hand quilting was not gonna happen. 
Quilt 1
With this first quilt repair/mend, I used the machine. *You can see how it smashed all the layers together. And shows what I mean by "all funked up." Since this one will possibly be used for inside a duvet cover/quilt, I decided to go with the faster, more durable mend.  Or it might still be used to snuggle on the couch with all your family, or making a tent....Used by children, for sure.
From the back, red side, you can see a lot of lines of stitching. I sewed down the torn front-side pieces and added some batt to fill in. [no pix] On the front, below, you just see the patch-fabric.
More story behind this red and green quilt. My mom bought the fabrics for me to make a quilt for Ben's bed. 1980's. But Ben's bed was really just a Coleman cot, so a twin sized quilt would have been way to big. Ben was 3 at the time, so a cot was for sure big enough for him! I later got a bunk bed that used 'real' mattresses! But that cot was put back into use when his second sister was too big for sharing her [his first] sisters bed.
 ~We were Tiny house living before it became popular. Way before.~
Ben finally got his own room when he was in high school! 
Don't know what happened to the cot.

1 comment: