Monday, July 02, 2018

The Women's March 2017 (WIP)

Struck a visible cord.  
The flow of Pussyhats between buildings, in a bird's eye view.
I knew I would have to put thread to fabric.
While scrounging around in my foot stool, 
looking for something else, of course, I pulled out a "thing" I had stitched together for something else....of course. 
It was perfect!  It was mostly white, for pink threads to show up on.
Assembled from random scraps of mostly textured cloths.
All thin, or sheer, or even holey!
click to enlarge, to see the pink pen dots.
Stitched together, but with angles, like buildings. 
There was even a blue-green-round-ish shape already pinned to it, 
that could represent the planet. I added woven wheel stitches for all 7 continents.  There are 12, buttonhole stitch wheels for the women/girls in my family, starting with my mother.* I also want to add stitches that represent women I know.
It already had the  'curtain rod' channel stitched down, better known as a "hanging sleeve" in the quilt world.
Much counting has gone into this piece, they aren't just random spots. 
First I put in 673 X/+ marks for the marches world wide.  That was a bitch to count out, so I got smart for the 847 more spots I wanted to add for all the cities signed up. With a washable crayola marker, I just spotted away. Now I am covering them with thread. Two side by side stitches, like an = sign. 
[my french knots tend to get sloppy]
673 marches in 847 cities?  I cannot find an answer to that question.
*my mother was forever disgusted that she made far less money than her "boss", and did FAR MORE work than he ever did.


1 comment:

  1. There is so much for women to be mad about in this country EVERY day. Every time I think it has hit the lowest it can go, more news comes out that makes my blood boil. I'm an activist pushing 67. My interest in politics started when I was in high school and the Civil Rights Riots hit. Never be silent.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete