Thursday, November 04, 2010

My Next Appliqué Quilt Plan

The next step in my Tropical applique plans. This will be the fantasy tropical place you can find me in when I go to my "happy place", though I will be leaving out the handsome hunks serving me drinks and peeled grapes. And the bugs.

 I saw this great idea on another blog, for figuring out what fabric to use for what, when you have a lot of pieces.  I didn't quite use her idea here, but I still think it's a good one.
seaweeds
corals
waves/water
turtles and dolphin
the flowers and fish will be multiple colors
my base fabric for the appliqué
almost forgot the seahorses!
I left out the birds that will be in the outer area too....I know which ones I want to use, I just forgot about them....
my 'map' for this quilt
Like my goofy Paint mock up for this newest project?
I didn't think I needed a full size paper pattern/map to follow for this, but I did want something to keep me straight on what will go where. I think I will put the paper patterns I have on the base fabric and make sure I do have room for everything...and that I free-hand-cut the volcanic action for the center area, in a correct size.  Don't want it to be marble size, ya know?!
The base fabric for this was a little brighter than I wanted, but I didn't want to buy another one, so I.....did something that will shock you......I bleached it.....yes, you read that right, I applied bleach to it....or rather, put it in a mild bleach bath.  Took all of about a minute to change.  Still not exactly what I was thinking of for this, but it will work....it's just the base for all the other yummy fabs anyway.  And maybe some embroidery.....and some fun quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment