Yarn used in this is Sophie's Toes by Emily Parson. It is yummy stuff, and sews as nicely as it crochets. [and probably knits up nice, but I don't knit]
I have added yarn as part of quilts several times now, usually as a border/binding treatment. So deciding to add yarn for the bandaid over the repairs to this block are not so far fetched an idea for me.
I simply crocheted a bias tape. Yarn will bend really nicely....even better than fabric cut on the bias. The part going 'through' AZ is stitched a little thinner than than the rest of it.
Most of it is 3-stitch wide rope, but as I loosely measured up to the AZ patch, I crocheted a long chain, w/o ending the yarn on the rope, then crocheted 2 rows on that chain. When I had that done, I went back to crocheting the other way again.....
This sorta shows how I am stitching this down, using the same yarn I crocheted with. I will have more pix soon because I am almost done with this!