Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Things I Made....for a Change

A few years ago my neice went to India for 6 months. I wished for silks to come home with her. And though I have told this before, I think the story that she brought back with the silks made it all even better.
Lindsay walked into a shop that had silk fabrics, possibly a dress maker, and asked for scraps of silk. So the shop keeper asked Linds to relax on the floor and he went upstairs [loft?] and rained silk bits and pieces down upon her, asking if she liked this piece or that!
I am not sure if payment was involved, but that is how I got a wonderful selection of silk scraps.
Ever since, I have wanted to make something for each member of that side of the family but could never come up with anything until now.

I call them the Wish Bags. They are about 2 inches wide and 8 to 10 inches long.
I pulled the silk scraps out of the bucket, stitched a block of 'fabric', folded and folded again, then machine stitched the long sides. I hand stitched the 'handle' and top hem.
I "filled" them with Good Wishes and sent them on their way.
And I did manage to get one picture of the cards I made from the Christmas Collage I had so much fun with.

4 comments:

  1. Great story and lovely bags! I like the image of being rained upon by scraps of silk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "wish bags" are really great. What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat! That must have been an interesting experience, having the silk rain down.

    ReplyDelete